Sunday, December 23, 2018

Stinger Ray's Tropical Bar and Grill - Honolulu, HI

The evening is a brief flight to Kauai, one of few I deeply regret. I didn't love Honolulu the first time, but I gained a new appreciation this time around. There are endless hikes, and the island has a mix of mountains and sea, with all sorts of delectable and affordable eats.

I thought that Kauai would be more of the same, so we didn't linger in Honolulu long. I do deeply regret not taking more time to explore the island, and I feel like I left a lot of poke bowls un-turned. 

The transition does NOT start well. This late lunch/early dinner at Stinger Ray’s is the second most regrettable meal of this trip, and I just can't. 


After so many fresh-out-of-the-water cuts of tuna, it seems Stinger Ray's Ahi Poke is where they dump what's left after it's lost its freshness. The fish tastes fishy, which tuna NEVER should, and even the not-so-spicy layer of sticky soy dressing doesn't disguise this misery.


The Grilled Fish Tacos do not rock. But they are filled with rocks, sold as "blackened mahi" that looks like it barely touched a grill and tastes like it was grilled for days. Sputtering, choke-on-it dry, with a teaspoon of pineapple and chipotle sauce that add nothing, this is NOT a recommended dish. 

We were hungry when we sat down, and we were initially about to order a third dish to share. Something told us to hold off, and a better decision was never made. I don't know what happens between the island and the airport, but I thought I was in a different country. I don't know how the food went from spectacular to shoot-me-now in just a few miles, but next time I'm at the airport, I'd rather starve.
Stinger Ray's Tropical Bar & Grill Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment