Sunday, December 23, 2018

Foodland - Princeville, Kauai, HI


We arrive at our Leilani Loft Airbnb, thrown our stuff down, and immediately endeavor to eat. The pre-takeoff meal was terrible, and we just need something to sleep on. 


Groceries are the way to go because Foodland isn't just your local Ralph's. For starters, they make the best poke on the island. The Shoyu Poke has a great balance of sauce with tender tuna and ripe avocado. We picked some up at the end of the day so the sauce has soaked in deep.


The Spicy Poke is still my favorite, creamy mayo with masago, each bite biting back. 


Musubi
goes with everything, and theirs stay under a warmer so they're rainy-day comfort food all day. 


Salt and Vinegar Chicaron
is made in-house, and it's the most indulgent snack. Goes great with Netflix on a rainy day, and it rained every damn day.


Lumpia
needs a toaster oven, but the cabbage and carrot filling is just fine when it's hot.


Lots of fun sweets, and they turn my favorites into something even better. I'll eat sour Gummy Watermelon any day, especially if you add sweet n' sour Li-Hing to the equation. It's the Hawaiian interpretation of Tajin, and it's awesome.


I hate that they tell you the calorie count. This Guava Bread is fruity-sugar fabulous at breakfast, but I do wish I hadn't consumed at least 500 calories in a single sitting.  


Chi Chi Mochi
will snow all over your sweater, but the texture is soft, and there's just a touch of sugar so it's dessert without the sweetness overload. 


Two words: BUTTER. MOCHI. Basically the best thing I've ever discovered. I found an easy recipe online, and I will be attempting this soon. I think we spent more on butter mochi that on any other food combined this trip.

It was a rough transition between the islands. The weather changed from sunny skies to rain all around, and the food went from plenty to hard to find, from shaved snow to sno cones. I'm glad we found this Foodland - it's the best food on the island, and I wish I'd eaten every meal here! 

No comments:

Post a Comment