Monday, December 31, 2018

Korean BBQ - Kapaa, Hawaii

I felt the best kind of uncomfortable when I walked in to Korean BBQ. I felt like I stumbled into the home of my best friend's Korean mom, and it was almost time for dinner. 


She has a pot on the stove, always ready to feed me, because hello, that's what Korean moms do. I protest politely, not wanting to put her out, but she sets down a plate of Sliced Kalbi, marinated all the way through with some extra savor infused from the bones. She adds a scoop of pickled cabbage and bean sprouts that are just delightful, and even her potato salad will almost convert you despite you not being a fan.


A cold noodle to balance the hot. No Asian meal is complete without all the carbs. Dig into the Bi Bim Kook Soo. The ropy noodles are a break from the steak, and they balance out the bulgogi-soaked beef on top. 


You're full, and she's made more than enough for you and the ten children you do not have, but she won't rest until you dig into her side of Steamed Mandoo. She calls it a side, but you have to eat all ten. The skin is chewy but soft and cooked all the way through, which is trickier than it looks, and the pork filling is so light and tender you can't believe it's a dumpling.  

I'm not Korean, but this restaurant feels like home. They are as sweet as can be, and I fight the urge to put my feet up and nap off my food coma. They probably would have let me, and they probably would have fed me again...wow, I really hope they feed me again soon.
Korean Bar-B-Q Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment