Saturday, December 29, 2018

Sushigirl Kauai - Kilauea, HI

I am so confused. How does a "sushi" shack full of bland stuff-stuffed bland stuff average 4.5 stars on Yelp? 


The O.G. sushi burrito was just bizarre. It's actually a burrito but with raw fish instead of meat. I love that it's wrapped in nori and soy paper, but tuna doesn't go with black beans. The sushi rice has no detectable vinegar and doesn't stick together in any of her creations, nothing is seasoned. The burrito comes with "yum yum sauce" for dipping, which tastes like mayo with a sriracha swirl. But mostly, it tastes like mayo. Are they allergic to salt?


They call this the Musubi, and I am very confused. This is a hand roll. Tuna, avocado, cucumber, sushi rice, wrapped in nori. HAND ROLL.


Don't bother with the musubi if you're getting a maki roll anyway. The Legend is a cut-up musubi with a sprig of green onion added inside. You're pretty conceited to name a roll of tuna, avocado, cucumber, and green onion "THE LEGEND". This is a roll every sushi restaurant makes, and many make it better. 

The ingredients are fresh, no doubt, but I am at an absolute loss as to how this place could net such a high rating. The rolls are bland, and I won't know that I could call any of this sushi. I might come back to try the poke if everything else on the island is closed, but I don't think I'd return if I could avoid it.
Sushigirl Kauai Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment