Sunday, May 12, 2019

Korean Traditional Restaurant - Shanghai, China

I’ve eaten here during every layover since 2005, and I never thought to write a review. 

The important thing is, I’ve eaten here on my way home every single time. Whether it’s en route to Dalian or back to my tiny Torrance apartment, Korean Traditional Restaurant has always borne witness to this transition. 


It’s a refreshing break from the weeks of Chinese food and is a welcome change from calorie-dense American. The Cold Noodles are refreshing and light in a sweet-finishing broth, and I love the al dente, part-gelatinous, part-ropy texture of starch-loaded buckwheat.


Stack the starches with a savory Kimchee Pancake. Theirs is mildly crispy on the outside and soft with a touch of brine beneath. It has a stealthy kick of spice as well.


The Bibimbap is another classic, and they do it right with a stone pot that keeps it hot long after the sizzling stops. The rice gets crispy and dry and it’s a delightful mix of the food groups.

It’s not important to me. If this restaurant ever closed I would just sit at whatever took its place or a seek something more appetizing within the airport limits. The international terminal in Shanghai/Pudong isn’t much to write home about, but its significance can’t be overlooked much longer. It’s served as a step between me and home for so many years, and I rarely have Korean food without thinking of this tradition. 

No comments:

Post a Comment