Monday, May 20, 2019

Pancho's - Manhattan Beach

I'm surprised. Very surprised and pleasantly so. Pancho's isn't the kind of place I'd frequent, but I'll never be sorry I went.

First of all, their Salsa is incredible. Yes, the free salsa they give you with bottomless baskets of chips to nibble on while you wait for your food is absolutely the best salsa I've ever had. I don't even like tomato, but the way they mix it; the tomatoes are juicy and super ripe, and there's a calibrated mix of cilantro and salt with a fiery blaze of spice that heats more than it burns. The House Margaritas are sweet n' sour but not too sweet, and they are strong enough for a good time after only one or two.


The tacos are a sizable portion, generous beans and rice on the side. The beans are quite flavorful, and the tacos themselves are well-balanced though I'd prefer them a little bit smaller. The flour tortillas are whatever - I should have gotten corn. The Shrimp Tacos are fine, juicy little butterflied shrimp, a bit buried by lettuce and cheese. The Carne Asada Tacos are fantastic, with incredibly juicy, full-flavored chunks of steak.

We all got a few bites of the birthday Fried Ice Cream as well. They put a crispy "bowl" on the bottom and corn flakes on top so it's more a dressing or a thinner cone. It's not a dessert I would go out of my way to try, but it's a nice thing they give the birthday person to go with their souvenir photo in an epic sombrero. 

I didn't think I'd like it here, and I definitely didn't think I'd want to come back, but if anyone wanted to eat here, I would love to revisit some carne asada.
pancho's Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment