Friday, May 3, 2019

Dalian - Day 3: Pang Ge - Dalian, Liaoning, China

Just as I'm starting missing Jinzhou barbecue, I find out that they brought it to Dalian. 


There’s a new branch of "Fat Brother" Barbecue right on Xiang Gong Jie, barely 100 feet from home. 


One tiny city block stands between me and my 
Lamb skewers, and I do love my fat-dripping tidbits strung up and seasoned. They’re grilled juicy with not even the tiniest trace of burn. Plenty of spice but not too hot.


Their menu is long and overwhelming. Comprehensive to say the least - you can put anything on a stick or grills. 
Pork Intestine with hot peppers is a fun one if you’re not squeamish. The peppers are hot peppers and they really help cut the fat. 


The Chicken Cartilage is all kinds of crunchy, 


But the Squid is just okay. I have yet to be impressed by this one.


Eat your vegetables! Straw Mushrooms do well with fish balls In a vat of chili oil.



Salad, a necessary staple of tomato and onion tossed in vinegar. You need it to break up the barbecue.



The String Beans are flavorful, and 
the sweet bread is a lighter starch. I’m sure the butter and condensed milk add no calories. 


My favorite is still the Smelt which is 
rolling in roe.



Their giant Bone Marrow is probably the thing ever. That’s a full-sized spoon and this is a freaking femur! 

I’d be lying if I said they were could replace the flavors and seasonings of the little shops in Jinzhou, but they are undoubtedly close enough. The salts and spices just don’t reach as deep here, but I could still eat this stuff every other day.

No comments:

Post a Comment