Thursday, August 18, 2011

Lobster at the Clam Shack – Wells, Maine



If I could pick a blind date for a lovely Maine wedding where I knew no one, including the bride and groom, I’d pick Adam every time. If I could pick a place to have a delectable Maine lobster roll, I’d pick the Clam Shack every time.

The Clam Shack is a cute, nondescript…well…shack…a homey wooden food stand that houses a brilliant kitchen that serves up a whole lobster between two slices of toasted hamburger bun. Wish I had more time in Wells – I would have tried a few other goodies on the menu – clam cakes, fried clams, yumyumyum, etc.

My only gripe is that there salt on the lobster is non-existent, and the savory butter doesn’t really remedy that. That being said, it may serve me right for skipping the mayo. In my defense, I didn’t want the mayo to drown out the lobster...

A word of caution: while you’re gobbling up your fresh lobster by the water, watch out for the seagulls – they perch right above you, poised to snatch the lobster out of your eagerly cupped hands. They left me alone though – they could probably sense that I would actually kill for lobster…

If you’re ever in Wells, Maine, make it a point to stop by the Clam Shack. I did. TWICE. In the same day. There is always room for lobster. If you still need convincing, (though I'm not sure how that's possible if you've read this post), their t-shirts make good tangible souvenirs, and their lobster rolls make lasting memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment