Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Comely Capital Grille - Boston


I had given up hope of being able to write a review like this one about any restaurant on Newberry Street, but Capital Grille had me impressed the before I even saw the menu. I was trying to order a glass of wine, and those who know me well know that such a decision may take me days…Here they serve mostly California wines by the glass but damn they know their wine. I told them that I like anything red from Bordeaux and instantly I was told which glass to order. Most impressive.

Warning: the portions are huge. Don’t come here if you’re not hungry and if you’ve had a big lunch, this isn’t the place for dinner. I had the Bone-in Kona, which is an irreproachably flavorful tender steak with a complementary but not overpowering caramelized shallot butter on top. The side offerings are good. Not exceptional, but isn’t the definition of “side dish”? Let the au gratin potatoes cool on your plate for at least 2 minutes or you’ll actually blister the roof of your mouth…so I’ve heard…not that I did this…really, do you think I would do such a thing?...The asparagus is perfectly al dente, some crispness left but tenderly freshly cooked at the same time. The roasted mushrooms taste roasted, and that smoky oven flavor with the juicy chewy texture never gets old. The other people at my table had the lamb chops, which, I was told, tasted as amazing as they looked. And they looked GOOD…The salmon was served on a wooden slab, a pretty presentation for an otherwise safe-bet dish.

I thought it’d be a long time before I gave another 5-star rating, but Capital Grille is the ne plus ultra of the American steakhouse. Elegant décor, friendly, knowledgeable staff, and beautiful steaks that have a little bit of their own creative flair - basically every quality embodied by my 5 stars. I’ll be back. You’re welcome to join me.

No comments:

Post a Comment