Saturday, August 13, 2011

Scrumptious Sel de la Terre Back Bay - Boston


I have recently had the distinct pleasure of meeting Chef Louie DiBiccari, formerly a chef of Sel de la Terre Back Bay (he was when I went there), and though my reviews may be outdated due to menu changes, I doubt that anything he makes could be less than stellar. Note: this review is only for the Back Bay location. My opinion of the Waterfront location is detailed in an earlier review and is not nearly as favorable…


I will admit I was a bit starstruck by the modest brilliant man that is Chef Louie. He did not even bring up his profession as a baller chef until I explicitly asked, even though we were on a roof deck directly across from his very restaurant. It is a rarity to encounter one so talented yet so humble. At this party, I sampled his genius firsthand in the form of his Oysters Rockefeller, made with scrumptious spinach, a kick of kimchee, and bold bacon. 



As for the restaurant, my friend brought me to the Back Bay location for my birthday a while back, and the food was as good as the company. The baked aged goat cheese with baby arugula appetizer was crisp and perfectly balanced and the pine nuts were the perfect finishing touch. I also had the duck leg, which was so tender I didn’t need a knife. I don’t think it’s on the menu anymore, which is a tragedy (it was that good!), but if this is reflective of all the other dishes, I’ll be trying a little bit of everything next time I go. Why don’t restaurants have “entrée sampler platters” and why wasn’t I born with a few extra stomachs?

Sel de la Terre embodies all the finesse of French cuisine. The exquisite attention to detail and the subtle but elegant flair of the dishes is breathtaking, and if it’s quality you want, it’s Sel de la Terre you get.

No comments:

Post a Comment