Monday, June 4, 2018

Sooshe Sushi Bar, Gordon's Bay, South Africa - Day 15

This is the day that food falls apart. So far South Africa has provided all sorts of meals and snacks, some more satisfactory than others, some more ordinary than not. That said, I had yet to try something truly terrible, and it's here, at Sooshe, that I finally encountered something I could not and would not eat. 


The sushi glides by on a conveyor belt, shiny options on colored plates, each with a different price point. They offer several options, among them, a flat rate for AYCE (which we did not order). They make it difficult to take advantage of the AYCE, however, as every item on the conveyor belt is drowning in a layer of mayo. The Shrimp Tempura Roll, for example, has both mayo and a cloying sweet chili sauce. 


A Salmon Wrap has dollops of mayo like icing on a cupcake.


And it takes at least three rotations of the belt before I find an acceptable Salmon Avocado Roll. 


The Salmon Avocado Hand Roll is also nice and fresh. 


They have a fancy Salmon Sashimi as well, but I'm not a fan of the sweet teriyaki-esque sauce they serve it in. 


Unfortunately, it all falls apart from here. I'm craving some carbs so I order a small portion of Beef Lo Mein. It's greasy, which is expected, but the oil tastes like it could use a change. 


The real moment of hatred boils down to this: I ordered a Tuna Hand Roll to finish my meal and was told that they were out of tuna. No problem, I opt to shrimp and avocado instead. They brought out the shrimp and avocado, but they also brought this tuna roll, insisting that the chef found the last piece of tuna and that I had to eat it. Bad enough they were trying to bully me into paying extra for something I didn't order, but what I found more offensive was the quality of the tuna. I expect my tuna to be red, not shades of gray. My camera also failed to captured the dark green sheen on the tuna, which was clearly at least a month old. I paid for it to avoid causing a scene, but eating it would have landed me in the hospital. 

Sooshe didn't seem so terrible to start. The salmon is quite fresh, and the sushi is not exactly authentic, but most of it was just fine. Sorry Sooshe, you would have gotten a more positive review had you not tried to poison me...
Soo She Sushi Bar Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment