Wednesday, April 17, 2019

Tai O Fishing Village - Lantau Island, Hong Kong

It’s $30 for a cab, and I regret nothing. Those winding mountain roads on a swaying bus...no thanks. 


Got out of the cab to see slightly haggard people stepping of the bus, and I regret nothing. Take the ferry back, skip the deep line for the bus, regret even less.


These old-school fishing boats,



this harbor.


These bridges that connect the canals,


these houses built on stilts.


Boats weave in and out and through the village, but I'm glad we decided to skip the tour.


This village was made for walking, though I try not to photograph private homes too much. 


This person, though, chose to display Snow White and the Seven Dwarves, and they deserve a picture.


Snacking at Tai O Bakery - they sell this fluffy, eggy Tai O Donut. Dusted with white sugar, it’s greasy, airy, and sulfury sweet, and it's everything I ever wanted from a donut.


We also snacked on some Fish Balls - I'm told they're a special of Tai O. 


AVOID. Avoidavoidavoid! I don't expect much since they're spheres of mystery sea-meat, but these make McDonald’s filet-o-fish seem like gourmet. 
With the texture a bit vulcanized, these gray blobs are full of the dishwater they boil in. The curry does not improve the minimal, dingy flavor, but this curry would not improve any flavor.

I wouldn't come here for the food, though the dried seafood makes a memorable gift to relatives. Just know that you'll never forget it either as your suitcase will never smell the same. That said, Tai O is still an idyllic destination, and I would consider renting a guesthouse room next time for a couple days of tranquility.

No comments:

Post a Comment