Thursday, April 25, 2019

Quinary - Central, Hong Kong

Did you know there's a World 50 best list for bars? I didn't, but I learned that Quinary ranks a solid #54 this year and it's been top 50 several times.

We had a few - how could we not? I'm not used to craft cocktails, but I'm surprised at all I've learned. For starters, they are seamless. Nothing sticks out, and that is what makes them special. There's no strong alcoholic burn, no lingering liquors, just a coherently flawless flavor and feeling. Sometimes it's a single note and sometimes it's a symphony. 


Their monthly special, the Chasing Apples, is like a sweet pink champagne. The gin meshes with not-too-fruity apple cordial, and umeshu add some fruity tang. The champagne adds a the carbonated finish that lifts the drink and gives it some traction.

I’ll admit, pretty far out of my element with high-class cocktails. I know enough to like and appreciate them but not enough to really rank. I just hope those berries were edible. I think they were currants, and I hope they were currants...whatever they are, I’m not dead yet.


Jack and Coke
with JD smoked wood chips. I had my doubts, but the ratio of jack to coke is impressively smooth, and the smoke adds depth to the coke and brings out the molasses. The smoke lingers and reverses through the nose, and suddenly you're immersed in a mason jar experience, not just sipping a drink. 


These cocktails are curiously strong, and their strength will accumulate if you don't eat in between. Their menu has all the best bar foods, including these real Truffle Fries.


There's a Prosciutto Platter of abundance that hits the spot as well. 


The best Old Fashioned in the world is served. The balance of bitters amplify the bourbon, and the harmony is a gift.


My Barrel Aged Sidecar is a bit of a road-trip. It doesn’t carry the weight I would expect from the Hennessey, but it blends well with lemon and Cointreau for much smoother ride.

If you're looking for bumps, the Dark & Stormy Intense is a thrill. The ginger and more ginger clashes and crashes into the rum. 

I love this bar. The ambiance is perfect, and it’s too classy to be so unassuming. It's sexy and chic but tourist-friendly enough to not make you self-conscious. They make some fantastic cocktails, and world’s 50 best or not, they're definitely my top three.

No comments:

Post a Comment