Tuesday, July 10, 2018

Ubon Thai Kitchen - Torrance


My Thai friend recommended Ubon for quick and tasty take-out, and I've been hooked for years. Ubon got me through many cold, long residency nights, and my real job only moved me closer. 


I started avoiding nights as of late, and the lunch specials are where it's at. The Pad See Ew is a thrown-together standard, flat noodles that are a good texture, crisp stalks and giant leaves of Chinese broccoli in a sweet soy sauce. The lunch specials also come with a mushy-inside vegetable spring roll and a-few-lettuce-leaves salad. 

The Green Curry with chicken is pure cream without the cream, and it's a little cooler and a little less sweet than the others. It's just as good with tofu or any of the other meats, and the container is always crammed full of zucchini, peppers, and bamboo with a few leaves of fresh basil for a boost. I get it, it's too creamy for some people, and it's a lot of coconut milk, but it's also quite a bit of comfort for the lactose intolerant. I recommend getting everything with tofu. The pork isn't bad either, but the chicken tastes like rubber, and the beef can taste a bit burnt in the noodles. 


The Roasted Duck Curry isn't anything special, but I can't resist. The red curry base is creamy AF, and the pineapple only adds to it. The duck is not exactly high quality, but the taste and texture are fine - you get what you pay for, and $10.95 is a deal for duck. Their jasmine rice is right on, but they actually serve Thai purple rice, not "brown rice" like their menu says. I still love my white rice, but the purple rice is a fun texture and definitely worth the extra buck.

I get it, it's not Thai Town, and it doesn't really belong in Thai Town, but I'm grateful to have it in the South Bay all the same. My attachment to Ubon may be more sentimental than objective, but at least I found some Thai food I like.
Ubon Thai Kitchen Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment