Sunday, July 29, 2018

Meiji Tofu - Gardena


We've all heard mom and dad wax nostalgic about the good old days. Grandma and grandpa too. There's a far-away look in their eyes and a glint of better times.

I don't know how much of their time I would really miss. Instagram be damned, I like keeping tabs on my friends on social media, and I've never felt the need to walk uphill both ways. 

What I do wish I still had, though, was the ability to find mom-and-pop places in their purest form, to find a butcher, a baker, a candlestick maker to fill my pantry with no-preservatives, non-GMO, certified-organic, blahblahblah.

Well, the farmer's market only opens twice a week, and I still hadn't found a reputable source for affordable protein...until I found Meiji Tofu. Not just a mom-and-pop shop, but a family factory that is frustratingly hard to find. They make tofu old-school but only until 1 PM, and they make it good. 


Their supreme tofu has twice the soy beans and 100 times the flavor of any tofu you've ever tasted, and it needs no adornments. The Kumidashi is creamy and smooth, and the soy bean flavor runs all the way through. The texture makes it more like a custard or a pudding, and it works as a quick n' easy protein for every meal. 


The Zaru costs a bit more, but you're really just paying for the basket. This cute little green sieve drains out the extra liquid and concentrates the tofu even further to squeeze out the savor of a saltier soy bean.

Imagine a full-fat, full-cream soybean Greek yogurt but better. That's what Meiji Tofu makes. Their product is pure, and it's worth getting up early to get. And for the tofu haters out there, give Meiji a try. This stuff will change you. 
Meiji Tofu Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment