Thursday, July 19, 2018

Dragon Lights - Reno, NV


Sometimes I take California for granted. The diversity here is unlike any other, and for the first time in my life, I felt normal. Growing up Asian American in North Carolina wasn't always easy; most people accept you as one or the other, and only in California is it possible to truly be both. 


I heard about the Dragon Lights in Reno, and I was pleasantly surprised. A celebration of my Chinese heritage in a city that...well, let's just say the Asian population at this event doubled upon my arrival. 


It's beautiful. So much time and effort to light up this park, a display that's almost a mile long. They really do play to Chinese tradition, like this guy stirring his cup of tea. 


Even the terra cotta warriors make a cameo...


But my personal favorite is the pandas...


Or maybe the elephants...

The staff are unbelievably kind and genuine. The appreciation for and the embracing of Chinese culture is heart-warming to watch. I never expected something like this right in the middle of Reno, but boy, am I glad I witnessed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment