Thursday, July 19, 2018

Arario Midtown - Reno, NV

I hear the words "Asian fusion" and my skin begins to crawl. I read this menu with the same trepidation with which I regard a giant, hairy spider, preparing for the worst.

Well, it wasn't the worst. Not the best, but far from the worst. Arario's menu makes all sorts of fun, and they do play the fusion card decently well. 


I always love the small plates of pickled freebies, and Arario doesn't disappoint. Kimchee is a fave, and they work wonders with soft shreds of sweet n' savory Curried Potato.


The Pickled Veggies are refreshing. The cucumber is sweet n' sour, and I like how the broccoli absorbs so much vinegar. The Pickled Wood Ear Mushroom is a pleasant surprise - I'm glad they included this exclusively Asian ingredient.


We made it in time for happy hour so all the small plates are half off. We're starting light with crunchy Shrimp Tempura, not quite as light as the Japanese iteration, but the frying is not poorly done.


I order the Crab Tofu, knowing it's going to be hit-or-miss. It has the potential to miss big time, but it hits pretty good. The tofu is fried so the outside crunches and the inside is pudding-soft. The crispy crab meat is a fun texture, and the fishy bonito flakes round out a sweet and slightly sticky miso aioli.


The Kimchee Fries could be a meal for two. Sweet strips of bulgogi mix well with sharper kimchee, but they both get a bit overshadowed by so much cheese.


The Teriyaki Bowl is a much lighter entree option, but I think they forgot the teriyaki. For whatever reason, this is a bowl of boiled chicken and "organic power blend greens" (i.e. cabbage?). I saw some cheese, but that and salt were all that I could taste. Then again, the chicken was well-seasoned, and it was clear that this dish would have potential if it were made correctly.


Miso Black Cod
. Pricey but not bad. The cod is a little less tender and a little more rubbery at times, and the miso-soy glaze is tending to congeal. But overall, also not a bad flavor, and the corn on the bottom is nice. 

I'll chalk some of the discrepancies up to growing pains. Arario has been open for less than a year, and Reno is tough crowd for Asian fusion. I would like to see a little more polish and a little more direction in their dishes, but I also did have a thoroughly enjoyable time and would gladly return to check on their progress.
Arario Midtown Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment