Sunday, March 27, 2022

Sakae Sushi - Gardena


Sakae makes super-sushi, and it's the best thing I've seen all year. 


It's Kyoto-style or Korean-style pressed sushi and giant, super-stuffed savory-sweet-pickled rolls. The rice is right on, and they're not shy about the vinegar. It makes the sweetness of the al dente Inari swell and brings out the brine in the Mackerel. I hate mackerel, but I love how they make it here. Slices of Ebi are tender and fresh, and they contrast the gooey, ripe avocado in the best California Roll you'll ever eat. Tamago-maki is topped with firm slices of sweet egg, filled with savory spinach and shiitake with a healthy hint of pickled gourd. Nori-Maki is the same stuff wrapped in nori, and I can't decide which one I love more. 

Limited selection, everything cooked, pretty and packaged into a traditional box with string and paper. Sounds simple, but there is something about the freshness, the quality, and the attention to detail, where every ingredient does a job, that makes it truly exceptional. Pick-up only, cash-only, call in advance. Sounds inconvenient, but believe me, you'll keep calling. 

No comments:

Post a Comment