Thursday, June 30, 2022

The Original Black's Barbecue - Austin, TX

Black's Barbecue, oldest in Texas. Family-owned, run on blood and smoke. 


They don't make things like they used to, but either Black's got it right early on or they perfected their recipes over several generations. Whatever they did to this Sausage, they need to keep doing. After so many shrug-aways, THIS is the sausage I've been waiting for. The casing has a sharp snap, and it pops under a heavy tooth. It releases a meaty fragrance, giving way to moist granules with popping black pepper. The slimmer shape heats evenly and distributes far more flavor. 


The Pork Ribs are not my favorite, but I don't know who to blame. They are abit dried out, but is it too much oven, or was it too much flame? Regardless, the smoke is substantial, and the flavor is a good one, so still good overall.


The Beef Ribs are...not dry. Every bite is marbled and dripping, full-on smoke and even fuller savor. Pricier due to sheer size but well worth the splurge.


Pleasant surprises in every packing, but the Brisket was the best. Sorry Snow's, you bow to Black's. This one has a fat cap so fatty, and the meat is a marvel. 

Black's has ruined both brisket and barbecue for me. I can't imagine anything better, so every time I order, I'll probably just wish it was Black's. 

No comments:

Post a Comment