Saturday, August 4, 2018

Wicked Spoon UPDATE - Las Vegas, NV

They say you learn a lot in the first year in marriage; about you, about your partner, and about who you are together. People like to tell me that couples grow together as two individuals evolve and establish their identity as a couple. We have grown together quite a bit. And we have grown...to hate buffets. 

We don't hate Wicked Spoon, but it's the whole concept of buffets that bothers us. To have our favorite delicacies made into bulk-buys is just too painful to process, both emotionally AND physically considering the amount of butter and fat.


One thing I do like about Wicked Spoon is their small plates. They're much higher quality than you'd expect from a buffet, and there's an impressive variety. These cocktail shrimp are sizable, and the beet salad is nice. Both the calamari and the octopus ceviche are awful, though. The pulpo has the texture of pulverized pulp.


More shrimp, well-seasoned and tender over an extremely buttery polenta. Too much butter, but butter does taste good. 


The sushi bar is a bit disappointing today, with salmon sushi only and not much else that isn't California or cooked. Oh well, there's no disappointment these three pieces of bone marrow can't fix.


They do know how to make octopus right. The two slices over a garlicky squid ink linguine are tender and perfect. The pasta is al dente, which is impressive at a buffet. Charred broccolini breaks up all the butter, and what's the harm in a few more bones of marrow?


Don't get me started on the crab legs. These are NOT snow crab. Whether they're dungeness or Jonah, I'm not sure, but they are definitely not snow crab. They actually taste better than the pre-frozen, watery snow crab they had last time, but lying to your customers is NOT cool. Seafood scampi is made to order. Clams, mussels, and crawfish are a great combination, and I would have gotten more, but I didn't feel like waiting in line. Makin' it surf n' turf with leg of lamb. It's fresh, and I love it. 


I'm just here for the dessert anyway. Chocolate cake, mango mousse, creme brulee. The vanilla mousse cone is still my favorite, and the chocolate-covered strawberries are irresistible. They have a lot of gelato and sorbet as well, and it's always a good idea to grab a scoop on your way out. 

My opinion of Wicked Spoon hasn't changed, and I'm sure it'll be the same next time I'm there. I'm still pissed about the crab legs purely out of principle - I actually hope they don't change them back. And I will be back as well. Wicked Spoon is a little pricey, but it's pretty reasonable for all the stuff you get, and though I don't love buffets, this is one I can still find somewhat enjoyable.
Wicked Spoon Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment