Sunday, April 8, 2018

Plates Neighborhood Kitchen - Raleigh, NC

You can't go home again, according to Thomas Wolfe. Maybe Mr. Wolfe was onto something. I go home all the time, but the home I knew isn't there anymore. It doesn't exist because it's grown and evolved, and while I think I've outgrown it, it has also outgrown me. 

Downtown Raleigh was a joke when I lived there. A couple of clubs, a handful of bars, a few restaurants we splurged at because we didn't know there was better. Back when Bogart's dominated the scene...because it was the only scene. I don't know what to think now. The streets are filled with adorable, slightly posh, and dare I say trendy little eateries like Plates, and there's a decent meal around every corner. 


They have a special tonight: a lot of duck. We had all the duck. The Duck Wings are smoky and dark. A little dry around the drumstick, but the barbecue glaze is great and not too sweet. Much gamier than chicken and with a lot more potential for flavor.


The Duck Leg is the entree, and it's glazed with and Asian-themed hoisin sauce. The skin is crisp, and the meat is tender. I don't think much of the sauce, but it's fine. The rice is plain and clearly not made by an Asian person, and the carrots could use a little something more though they are cooked correctly.


Seafood Risotto
to break up the duck. The shrimp and scallops are good for the flavor, though the fish could be a little more fresh. But it is loaded with butter and a flavorful broth, and I enjoyed it overall.

The food didn't matter compared to the company, but I'm glad I got to try this place. Plates is exactly what they say it is, a sweet neighborhood kitchen that churns out some good eats. Reasonable prices, good portions, and a decent place to try if you're in the 'hood. 
Plates Neighborhood Kitchen Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment