Thursday, April 19, 2018

Honeybird - Los Angeles


Back in my (undergrad) day, you couldn't even get to Bojangles without an upperclassman's car. The drive was short, but I assure you, it was uphill both ways. 


Seeing these USC kids (apparently I'm so old they look like children) have easy access to a 4-Piece Dinner all day, every day is downright embarrassing. My Bible belt school was a fried chicken desert, and here, in California, Honeybird hovers at the heart of a city-slicker campus.  What's worse is that their chicken is so good it's even worth the 405 on a Friday night. The batter is so crispy it chips off to make the most delicious flying debris, dripping with savory oil yet not the least bit soggy or soft. The skin speaks with a comforting southern drawl with a bold honey accent. 


Shout out for the best Waffle Fries I've ever had. They're a lot better than Chik Fil'a, even if they weren't fun by homophobic jerks. The Garlic Mashed Potatoes are smooth peaks and the Coleslaw is a cool down from all the fried stuff. 


There's Salted Honey Pie for dessert, and I can't believe something so sweet can leave me so bitter. It has a custard-thick texture, a heavier, more gooey iteration of the chess pie I just had in Durham.

Honeybird is kind of my of Durham away from Durham...because I have yet to find an affordable home in SoCal. Oh well, at least my mouth can be home at Honeybird. 
Honeybird Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment