Wednesday, April 11, 2018

C&T Wok - Morrisville, NC

Well, this is embarrassing. I'm being shown some of the best Chinese cuisine in the Triangle...mere miles from my father's house...by my Indian friends. I don't even feel worthy of wielding chopsticks anymore. 

Well, that didn't last long. I'm way too hungry to pass up authentic Szechuan. I believe the chef is from Hunan, though, and there's a regional flare to C&T's rendition of the classics.


The North Sichuan Cold Noodle is awesome. Numb-spicy but not too hot, delightfully al-dente cold, chewy with crunchy cucumber and a to-die-for Szechuan sauce that compels you to keep eat rabidly, long after you're full.

To have a balanced Chinese meal, there must be all the contrasts. For cold, there must be hot, and my friends took care of that as well. Yes, my Indian friends had to order because I'm clueless and the 5-page menu was overwhelming my little white-washed southern brain. 


To equalize the noodles, the Eggplant with Szechuan Garlic Sauce warms my soul. There is a way to make eggplant pillow-soft without letting it get slimy, and Chinese eggplant packs all the flavor that Italian lacks. Shreds of bamboo add texture, and the execution on the classic murky, spicy garlic sauce is on point.


What in the world. Coffee Popcorn Chicken. Ummmm...what? It sounds like something you dig out of a compost pile. And it's mind-blowing. The flavor is original, unlikely anything I've ever tried. It's bold, savory, a little sweet, and totally unforgettable.


Salt & Pepper Crispy Fillet Fish
, another southern Chinese classic. Airy batter, like a thicker, heavier tempura, beautifully golden and glowing red. The power is in the salt and pepper powder, which perks up soft, supple fillets. 

I'm not familiar with Hunan cuisine, but I sure would like to be. C&T makes impressive combinations of creative classics, and I'm already begging for more. Maybe my Indian friends can help me find this place again.
C & T Wok Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment