Thursday, December 17, 2015

Hakata Ikkousha Ramen - Torrance


I just did something that no person should ever do. I re-read my blog. Actually, I only skimmed a dozen entries or so because that's all I could stand to read. I never realized I could be boring with a side of insufferable. 

I can be a bit off-putting when describing something I don't like. Like Hakata Ikkousha Ramen when they flaunt their former ramen champion status, I constantly assert my expertise. 


Like Hakata, I'd like to think I hold some legitimacy. I've eaten my way through more countries than I have fingers, and the American food Meccas of Boston, LA, and NYC have painted a pretty picture of the places I haven't been. At Hakata Ikkousha, you only need to try the Tonkotsu Mentaiko ramen to clarify their claim to fame. The broth bubbles silkily around soft slices of chashu, and there's ordinary about their normal noodles.



Some of my reviews sound as appealing as their self-made wall of fame, but at least I'm not afraid to keep it interesting. The Black Tonkotsu also makes its statement in ink, and with a startling black garlic oil that claps in your mouth. 



I am only occasionally neutral, and the Gyoza is the only diplomatic thing they have. Still, this pearl of ground pork in a pan-fried wrapper makes a strong starter or a satiating side.


Even the Fried Chicken can't sit quietly. The golden, salty-savory-almost-sweet breading speaks volumes without being voluminous, and the flavor-boost is hard to forget.

With all the gaudy advertising and its inability to accommodate crowds, Hakata Ikkousha can be a bit too loud. But I'll take a bowl that's loud and bold over one that's quiet and meek, and with the fierce competition in Torrance, I'm happy to find some ramen that can cause a ruckus.

No comments:

Post a Comment