Sunday, December 27, 2015

San Bao - Dalian, China

San Bao is famous for its classic Chinese porridge, and it just happens to be located two short blocks from my grandma's apartment. I go there for lunch at least once every time I'm in Dalian.


The cabbage and clam Porridge is a smooth suspension, yet you can still feel the friction between each grain of rice. The clams add depth, and the cabbage keeps it fresh.



Porridge also goes well with dim-sumy stuff...just not this dim sum. The Shrimp Dumplings were a bit dry, and in the case of the disastrous Chive Pocket, someone forgot the salt. But the Turnip and Oyster Dumplings were skillfully shredded with a pleasant sting of briny, finely-chopped oysters that they sent my dad into a story that started with "back in my day."



San Bao doesn't make the best seafood, and the dim sum leaves a bit to be desired, but the porridge is pretty perfect. Considering it's only a couple blocks away, it would be cruel to deny myself gruel. Please sir, I want some more.

No comments:

Post a Comment