Monday, August 15, 2011

Guzzling Gaslight - Boston


Now that I've written enough original reviews, it's time to post my old ones from yelp so that they're all in one place. Sorry if you've already read them all, won't happen again...

If you’re like me and good service practically makes or breaks your dining experience, go to Gaslight. I casually mentioned to the server that my friend and I were planning to split everything, all of our dishes were evenly divided for us and neatly served on separate plates. It seems like a small thing, but it reflects a conscientious effort to improve the dining experience – no awkward dividing a steak in half for us!


The fried artichokes were battered just enough to be fried but lightly enough to still taste the artichoke underneath. And what doesn’t taste better with just-enough-for-flavor-but-not-enough-to-drown-in aioli?




Speaking of food, if you’re looking for authentic French, this is your place. The steak frites was beautifully charred on the outside, red on the inside (order medium rare, I beg you!), and I must confess, better than the steak I had in France. The sautéed skate wasn’t the best I’ve had, but lightly breaded and tender though I wasn’t a fan of the gravy – too heavy/salty and not a complimentary flavor.



The molten chocolate cake is delicious, as expected, but the light, almost airy crème Chantilly was the icing on the cake (pun intended) - just enough sweetness, a perfect pairing with the richness of the cake.

The house red wine (complimentary with the prix fixe menu) holds its own and is a step up from French table wine. It goes down smoothly and has none of the acidic aftertaste that often accompanies young/lesser quality wines.

Less appealing is the prix fixe brunch. The orange juice is freshly squeezed with just a touch of pulp for texture, and the coffee goes down smoothly. The spiced shortbread is sweet and light, and though the Omelette Lyonnaise is fluffy and generous with gooey gruyere, it could use a little salt. However, everything is made well and for $9.95, I hardly see reason to subtract stars…

Gaslight itself is simultaneously elegant and homey. There is the greatest attention to detail, evidenced by the service and décor (I asked: the lights are street lamps purchased from Paris!). Even the bread is wonderfully French! Crispy on the outside, chewy inside…yummm…And the real clincher is that everything is reasonably priced. The prix fixe menu comes with a complimentary glass of wine, which makes it pretty affordable for a nice night out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment