Monday, August 15, 2011

Delicious Duozo - Boston



At first glance, Duozo was just plain fun. Full bar, house music, pretty booths and classy modern ambiance that ride the fine line between restaurant and lounge. My date and I waited maybe 15-20 minutes, accurately predicted by the hostess, and vodka sodas in hand, went to sit at our table. The place was packed and the conversation buzzed at every table including mine until it was time to order food.
Me: I would like the scallop kiwi roll.
Server: WHAT?!?
Me: SCALLOP KIWI ROLL.
Server: WHAT?!?!
My date: SCALLOP KIWI ROLL!!
Server: WHAT?!?
After much sign language, the food came. LOVED the sushi – I’m all for creative rolls with 3 kinds of fish that taste amazing together. The SCALLOP KIWI ROLL was worth shouting for and so were the other five we ordered. The avocado is a soft, ripe, brilliant green, the fish is fresh, and the crab is juicy and real. Each roll is meticulously crafted, which seems like a small detail, but it’s important to me that my sushi doesn’t fall apart between my wasabi-saturated soy sauce and my mouth. If you’re feeling indecisive, just close your eyes and point.
Summary: Those who are loquacious but soft-spoken (i.e. me) may have difficulty communicating across the table due to the blasting music, which is almost too edgy/hip for the quality of the sushi. And when sushi is concerned, Duozo is one of the pricier places, especially if you’re getting all specialty rolls, but if you’re detail-oriented and brutally critical like me, it’s worth every penny.

No comments:

Post a Comment