Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Adoring Asia – Mashpee



Finally, good-quality, reasonably-priced sushi! During my brief stint in Falmouth, I occasionally took the bus to Mashpee Commons to ummm….study…yeah…study…sure…ok fine! To procrastinate by gorging myself on sushi.

Love the menu – the right combination of sushi for the hardcore, Chinese and teriyaki for the culinarily conservative, and even a few Korean dishes for those who erroneously believe that all food should be cooked. This may be the thing I miss the most about the Cape.

I tried the Baby Tako Salad special last time I was there. I really can’t afford appetizers on student loans, but who can resist sweet little baby octopi marinated in something red with ginger and sesame and served in a martini glass? Seriously, it was like a seafood cosmo without the hangover.



LOVE the sushi lunch specials – so much food for a reasonable price. I could barely finish mine even though I hadn’t eaten all day. The hot & sour soup is that reliably good egg suspension with just enough vinegar to have a kick but not too much to make you cry. Love that they didn’t skimp on the soup or the tofu in it. The salad is your run-of-the-mill iceberg lettuce topped with a yummy thick and grainy ginger dressing. I had the Sushi & Sashimi, which was not skillfully sliced like Samurai but good presentation and fresh enough to please the palate of this picky NYC transplant. For those suspicious of sushi, the Veggie Make makes for another frugal lunch with its ripe avocado, rolled beyond reproach.

The lunch special makes for sad Sundays as it’s the only day they’re not served. As if that would stop me…I opted instead for the Nigiri Plate, which is the same delicious sushi except more expensive AND without soup or salad. Sad but still worth it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment