A Hawaiian poke place takes over the Sampa space.
How does it measure up to the best pizza chef in Brazil?
The Shoyu Tuna (not pictured) and Salmon Ponzu do not. Shoyu gets a little slimy, and the ponzu is a bit overwhelming. The salmon has a slightly fishy aftertaste, not helped by the acidity of the ponzu.
My favorite so far is the spicy mayo-slathered Firecracker, and I love the Limu, which has a clean, mildly soy coating with the signature seaweed. They have both salmon and tuna options, and I usually opt for the tuna because it just goes better with the sauce. Sides include the standard seaweed salad, crab salad, pickled cucumber, etc. All are fine, just get your faves.
There's an option for regular (previously frozen) or to upgrade to premium (never frozen) for a fee, though I'm not sure I see enough of a difference to pay.
We're heartbroken at the loss of Sampa, but at least we have a high-caliber replacement. For poke in the South Bay, Ali'i has my vote and Jus' Poke has my heart. Ry is a close second, with the added benefit of being the best poke near work, but I do wish the sauces were a bit simpler. Sometimes there's so much stuff the base ingredient gets lost in the shuffle. Then again, the mixes are unique in a way that makes me crave their stuff specifically, so whatever they're doing, I think it's clearly working.


No comments:
Post a Comment