Tuesday, September 15, 2026

Louis' Basque Corner - Reno, NV

Everytime I come to Reno, I fall in love with the city just a little bit more. There's always a new corner to uncover, and on this trip, we found Louis's Basque, a bar on the brewery-filled 4th street. 

The food is family style, and everyone acts like family. Be prepared to sit next to strangers and pass the communal plates. Every lunch comes with a set of staples and your choice of entree if you choose to have one. 


The Soup today is a hearty chicken and rice, 


the Salad has a simple vinaigrette, 


The Basque Beans are meaty and savory, soft from so much simmer. 

You get bread and a plate of fries as well, perfect for dipping and soaking, sopping up all the broth, lest you waste a single, savory drop of the soup or beans. 


The kiddos get some Chicken Nuggets fried to order, and I swear, these are so good we ate them all.  


Thin slices of Beef Tongue are stewed in tomato and pepper sauce, super-tender with a sharp tang to finish. 


Oxtail
meat simmers in a savory brown sauce, so soft it slides off the bone. 

I love the food here, but I might love the feeling more. In a world where social standards forbid this kind of set-up, Louis keeps community alive, facilitating finding common ground through sharing starters and passing plates. It seems daunting to dine this way, but I suspect that’s why lunch comes with a glass of wine if you want it. Even if you're not feeling social, take a sip and seize the day. Say hi to those strangers and get to know your neighbors a little bit. People can pleasantly surprise you if you give them a chance, especially when you're sharing some of the best food in the city. 

No comments:

Post a Comment