Friday, September 8, 2023

NYC - Day 5

Frick Madison - New York, NY

A pleasant day starts at the Frick, the temporary location on Madison while the original gets a new look. 

The first floor is all lobby and shop, the basement has a cafe. 


The magic starts on the second floor which is resplendent with Dutch masters; Vermeer, van Dyck, Rembrandt, and Holbein.

The third floor is full of furnishings I wish I had and highlights of artists Spanish and Italian: El Greco, Bellini, Bronzino, all names I don’t know so well.


The fourth floor has a Monet, a Manet, and even a Degas with dancers. A new find for me are Fragonard’s commissions for Madame du Barry, canvases with vivid colors that come alive. 

A pretty place to be, the spacing of the painting makes the Frick a focused and beautifully curated collection. The rooms are spacious, the walls sparingly adorned, and this layout provides a sense of peace to the viewer. I feel that $22 is a bit much for maybe half an hour of entertainment if you’re on a budget, but I was glad to pay for under an hour of peace.  



Sant Ambroeus - New York, NY

Oh my, so this is the UES I selectively forgot.

I feel so shabby stepping into this classy cafe in my water-resistant jacket with leggings and sneakers that have clearly seen some stuff. 


My Cappuccino comes in this Salmon-pink cup, and I feel like a princess, wanting to curl my pinky. 



I’m about to hang upside-down so I have to settle for a small but fully stuffed mini sandwich of mozzarella and prosciutto San Daniele. The bread is a buttery brioche, and it's more filling than any meal. 

The place is really pretty, the service is super polite. I’m not the only person dressed like a pauper grabbing something to go, and my feeling of not belonging and never wanting to belong here comes from me alone. It's honestly a cute cafe, just totally not my vibe. 



Aerial Arts NYC - New York, NY

How it started…

And how it’s going. 


A lot has happened since my first class at AANYC, and it was the start of a decades-long addiction that no one expected to go this far…myself included. But here I am, excessively obsessed with hoop, delving deeper into silk, and trying my hand at infineight. 

Lisa Natoli came highly recommended from someone I fangirl over, and I’m certain she thinks I’m an idiot. I jokingly promised her I wouldn’t die at the beginning of class and immediately tripped over the silk on my way off the crashmat. She even had to ask, “didn’t you JUST promise me you wouldn’t die?” 

Class was cool, instructor was great, and I’m obsessively going through alternative pathways for the crazy climb she taught in class. Can’t wait to take it home to play. 



Museum at FIT - New York, NY 

The Museum at FIT is small, with only two halls, but the school lobby has a gallery as well and all of it is free. 




Gorgeous LatinX fashion more style than I will ever have. 


The gallery displays restored vintage classics, and I would wear any of these iconic pieces in a heartbeat. 

No comments:

Post a Comment