Friday, September 8, 2023

NYC - Day 3 (cont)

Moma - New York, NY


I really don’t get modern art, but it’s settling to stroll through a gallery, even if you don’t fully appreciate the work. 


Most of it is stuff like this, meant to be evocative to those who know, random for those who don’t. Either way, it’s hard to get excited about piles of rope or scrap metal. 


But there is also a charismatic Frida Kahlo in this corner,


One of Picasso’s better works,


Warhol’s soup cans,


And the enchanting colors of Chagall. 


The highlight here is a room of wall-to-wall Monet. 

I also checked out the Moma Design Store and the midtown location sucks. Overpriced tchotchkes, not even kitchenware you’d want to use. I hope the Soho location is better. 



Morgan Library - New York, NY

Wow, what a find! A small museum with rotating art exhibits, carefully curated and concentrated for both artistic experts and casual cruisers.


The Hodler exhibit is interesting, 


But I couldn’t stop gasping at the stunning detail of George Sand 


And a landscape by Rousseau. 


If I lived in this house, I would never leave it. This exquisite library is free for the public when you first step inside, you feel like Belle when the beast shows her his books. 



A fabulous find - I’m glad I made time. MOMA and the Met may get all the attention, but the Morgan Library is the real masterpiece. 

No comments:

Post a Comment