Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Dumpling House - Gardena



Well, that didn't take long. Two weeks and I'm already salivating in my sleep. I miss Chinese food. I miss eating myself into a constant coma, and I miss dumplings most of all.


I went to Gardena to get a fix, and the Juicy Pork Dumplings were NOT the good stuff. They were noticeably all different sizes, and each had mere drops of soup. The Juicy Pork and Crab Meat Dumplings were a little lighter but they weren't any better, and it was hard to tell the two apart.



The Shrimp Wonton in Spicy Sauce was better, and the sweet, slightly spicy sauce hid the the sad fact that the wontons tasted like they had been previously frozen and bagged.



Dumpling House does get points for variety. I've never seen lamb on a dumpling menu, and the pan-fried Lamb and Green Onion Dumplings provided a gamey contrast. Ironically, they had way more juice than the juicy dumplings.



Food coma accomplished, at least, thanks to the Beef Roll Pancake, which is basically a Chinese burrito. Ironically, these thin slices of soft, soy sauce beef are a better filling than any dumpling.



The only thing that reminded me of China was the Green Onion Pancake. It's free if you check in on Yelp but why they give away the best thing they make is beyond my comprehension.


Kotohira makes flavorful katsu bowls and savory udon soups nearby. Boiling Point next door had a line so far out the door we couldn't even see the sign for dumplings. Yet, somehow this place survives at a sad sub-par. Next time I come to this complex, I'll be shivering in front of Boiling Point instead.
Dumpling House Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment