Friday, January 22, 2016

Japonica UPDATE - Redondo Beach

I just turned 30 last year, and I'll be 31 in just a few months. My Facebook feed is flooded with lists and the like, most of which are entitled, "What you learn in your 30s," "Why 30-somethings are more mature/wiser/cooler/more adult/better in every way than 20-somethings."

I don't feel better or cooler or more mature - I just feel older. If maturity means that everything below the neck starts to succumb to gravity and the fine lines don't fade, then you can have it! 

But maturity? An air of self-assured sophistication? I wouldn't mind some of that, and I could take a few lessons from Japonica. So elegant, a layout so ornately thought-out yet so sleek and chic. The dark storefront gives way to a den of dignified dinners, the nuances of light-on-black made for people in designer scarves sipping hot sake who actually know what they're drinking.

The House Hot Sake was plenty sophisticated for me. I'm sure it's as basic as they get, but it slides down warm and smooth.


The Agedashi Tofu goes the same way, delicately-fried cubes of silken tofu, dipped in a subtle brown broth.



The Albacore Tataki takes a different direction, delicate strips made hearty by a dense garlic butter soy sauce.



The Sashimi Sampler Grande isn't very grande, but the tastes of yellowtail, tuna, and salmon are fresh enough and hit the spot just fine when paired with sake.


Japonica's sushi and small plates are justifiably simple yet easily dwarfed by the flashier Casa Arigato, the fancier Sushi Chitose, and the bigger, better platters at Flyin Fin. But boy do I love their ambiance! The setting is so soft and understated, making it a great place to sit and sip.
Japonica Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment