Wednesday, July 29, 2026

Bestie Trip NYC - Day 5

MOMA - New York, NY

As much as I appreciate this space, it is the museum of MODERN art. 


Still, there are these classics that take my breath away, like the haunting Demoiselles d'Avignon, painted by Picasso at his peak, 


Christina's World, which gives disability a perspective,


and what more is there to say about Van Gogh's Starry Night.

There are also more modern things like their current exhibition on Marcel Duchamp, full of things I can't begin to understand. 


I roll my eyes at his "ready-made" pieces, which consists of him stamping his name on a piece of junk and selling it at an exorbitant price, though even I can appreciate the marketing genius of these miniature boxes containing all his most famous art. 


I do also love his Coffee Grinder cubism,


and in other galleries I discover this Dali with depth,


a stunning piece by Vuillard that I'll admit I know nothing about,


and The Subway by Jose Clemente Orozco that draws me into the dark spots. 


And there is a wire cow with wire poop which is possibly the best piece in this place.

Much to be seen, much to take in, a beautiful collection housed in this Midtown marvel. 


Maybe Happy Ending - New York, NY 

There are no happy endings here unless you count the privilege of seeing this show. 



Two decommissioned robots meet, by chance or by fate, you decide, and a flurry of events ensue that explore the themes of sentience and love. It serves as a cautionary tale as both their owners choose the cleanly-choreographed love of their programmed-to-please servants over the messy ups and downs of the relationships that are human and painfully real. 
The ending is supposedly hopeful, though I find it mostly sad. The songs are quite forgettable, but I love how these themes make you think. I leave wondering if these robots were decommissioned to make room for newer models or if they were cast out because people stopped using them after seeing the side effects on society. 



Sushi 35 West - New York, NY

It's a strange trek up a flight of stairs to a small stall in a classic walk-up building close to seedy Herald Square. There are a couple of folding tables and chairs, but it's clearly meant to be taken to go. 


The Sushi Premium is a dealer's choice, ten cuts with a tuna roll on the side. All three types of tuna are a ten, and as are the halibut, snapper, and whatever other white slices they select. Salmon is sleek, both the belly and the regular, and the fresh and creamy uni isn't the least bit bitter. 

The sweetest chefs are slinging sushi here, procuring cuts that are far nicer than the location would imply. 
Of everything I ate this trip, Sushi 35 is my favorite find. 

No comments:

Post a Comment