Tuesday, September 24, 2024

Canaan Cafe UPDATE - Lomita

Maybe I ordered the wrong stuff or maybe my half-delirious, fully-starved postpartum brain has changed my palate. Or perhaps I didn’t give Canaan Cafe enough credit the first time around. 


The Steamed Shanghai Dumplings are still just fine, a small sip of sweet and savory soup with a tender pork filling. 


The French Style Beef is where they really step it up. Sharp slices of onion punctuate these tender, peppery cubes. A simple dish, but simply delish. 


Canaan Special Pork Chop is nicely seasoned, though a bit soggy from the transit. 


Kung Pao Chicken is super tender. I did wish for more veggies, but the flavor is good. Don’t let the chilis deter you - they add more pepper-sweetness than spice. 


The Stir Fried Baby Bok Choy is just that, but they do a good job on it. The stems still have some crunch, and the flavor is punctuated by notably fresh garlic. 

It’s still no Muodu, but I need to stop wishing for what’s lost and just be grateful that the replacement will do. I can’t see a cafe like Canaan standing up in San Gabriel, but it’s pretty good Chinese for the South Bay. 

No comments:

Post a Comment