Wednesday, July 17, 2024

Thach Che Hien Khanh - Westminster

"OMG Nicole, I had the most amazing desserts today!...Could you please tell me what I ate?"

Very little English is spoken in this cash-only pick-up shop, and I got a whole lot of amazing for a little bit of pointing. 


I did start with what I know. Banh Da Lon is a favorite of mine, a tapioca flour base flavored with pandan, dyed a gratifying green. Theirs is more gelatinous in texture, a good chew to contrast the pasty mung bean filling. 


Sticky Rice is another classic, though it's my first time having the Vietnamese iteration. Beautiful colors and a subtle sweetness and a gooey yet firm, grain texture. 


The Banh Tam is new, and it's hard to resist these colorful wide noodles. Grated cassava with tapioca starch forms an almost-mochi which is crusted with coconut and sesame seeds. 


A sweet pandan drink washes it all down, and I love the contrast of the grainy texture with pandan jelly cubes. 

They have a truly impressive spread, and I've barely scratched the surface. This is one place I will start coming back to after every Westminster meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment