Thursday, October 20, 2022

Piroshky Piroshky UPDATE - Seattle, WA

When I think of my Seattle trip all those years ago, PIroshky always comes to mind.  It was a whirlwind of Russian rolls, both savory and sweet, with such perfect pastry crusts and wrappers.

I jumped at the chance to pick them up from a Playa parking lot last week, hoping to revisit Seattle in my stomach. The nostalgia didn't disappoint, but the pies themselves sure did. The packing job was poor, some a little squished from the weight of the ice packs, flimsy paper bags failing covering pies getting soggy with melting condensation. 

They do heat up well enough, but the oven temp and time they give you leaves the center cold. It's a battle to calibrate, and I only have so many pies to mess with. 


My favorite is the seasonal Swedish Meatball. It has big, tender meatballs in every bite, and every bite is awesome. 
Smoked Salmon Pate was smoky, a flaky fish with a balanced cream cheese to stick it together, but not so much that it's cheesy.  
The Moscow Roll is unusual, in the best possible way. Cream of wheat adds texture and dilutes the bavarian cream. Makes it a little more interesting. 
Apple Cinnamon is one you'd recognize. A run-of-the-mill roll with Granny Smiths sticking out. I like the tart twist, and it's a lovely classic.


Beef & Cheese is a dense one, a savory starter if 
you're looking for a meal. It's a brick of ground beef, heavy on the onion. I like it, but not everybody would agree.
The Cinnamon Cardamom Braid tastes as pretty as it looks. Cardamom adds an earthy aroma and spices up the citrus. 
Chocolate Cream Hazelnut is so delicious, buttery-sweet like a pudding in solid form. 

I'm still a sucker for their Rhubarb. Sweet and tart like strawberry, it's hand pie with extra crust. 

Nothing is better than getting your piroshky hot and fresh, and delivery, especially the way they pack it, puts a real damper on these delicious things. I still love this place because I've seen what they can do under the right condition, but next time I get Piroshky, I'll do it in Seattle.

No comments:

Post a Comment