Tuesday, April 12, 2022

Aptos Trip Day 7 - Roux Dat, Soquel, CA

 Lunch is a quick delivery, and I can't resist a name like "Roux Dat". 


They do a decent cajun menu, with a crispy, Spicy Fried Chicken Po'Boy which isn't really spicy. Still, a pretty good chicken sandwich, and I like the po'boy breading.


Went for the 1/2 & 1/2 Roux Dat Stew: Spicy Shrimp & Corn Etouffee and Chicken Gumbo with Okra & Andouille Sausage separated by a wall of white rice. The etouffee is gooey-savory, a nice mix of shrimp and sweet corn. The shrimp taste like they were frozen for a while, and again, not so spicy. The gumbo is equally not memorable, but a bit darker with a darker, meatier essence.


The Corn Bread is the best thing by far, with cajun season clinging to the sides, glued on by melted butter. 


Beignets are super sugared, but they are a bit dense and thick. I figured they wouldn't travel well so I can't fault only the restaurant - they might be better fresh. 

I like it, I don’t love it, and I wouldn’t hate to have more of it, but I also wouldn’t seek it out. I didn’t rue that, but I also wasn’t too impressed. That said, it takes real guts to make a good stew, and I do appreciate their efforts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment