Tuesday, February 22, 2022

Katz's Deli - New York, NY

Man, I miss those Jewish delis. I was a stickler for Second Avenue, and I never did make it down for Katz. 

I sure did miss out, but thanks to mail-order, I regret no more. I got my hands on some Corned Beef and pounds of Pastrami



All that smoky, melt-in-your-mouth fat, gristle-galore glows pink. Pretty sandwiches on their fluffy rye bread (not pictured here), incomplete without puckering pickles and sauerkraut. Spread on some mustard and spring for the Russian dressing as well. 


Now THIS is a Hot Dog. Their kit includes those fluffy buns and an all-beef frank that extends past the bread so you get some with every bite.


Hot and almost fresh, here's hubby's first Knish. The square ones have a crispy coating, a layer of frying with mashed potato underlying. Dip in yellow mustard, pair with pickles. 



Salami both hard and soft, both made with beef with a big flavor, much more gamey and robust than those delicate deli slices. I prefer the soft for its smoothness as I'm put off by the strangely rubbery texture of the hard. 


Less-known is the Knoblewurst, a big-beef sausage, seasoned much like a kielbasa with a little less salt and big bite of garlic. You can taste the quality of the meat, and it's best when cut in half and seared. Throw it into a bun or build it on a bagel for breakfast. 


Kugel makes a fantastic side, and you can just pop the whole tray into the oven like that. Theirs is more sweet with sugar and cinnamon, and it finishes fruity with visible vittles of orange. 

I've always loved Jewish delis, and Katz is the ultimate OG. I've had some pretty close contenders, but it's hard to compete with the original. 

No comments:

Post a Comment