Friday, February 4, 2022

JJ Bakery - Torrance

Family-owned, not so corporate, halfway between work and home. I've wanted to stop by, and soon I got my chance.

Hubby wanted for his birthday, of all things, a Black Forest Cake. JJ makes one of few in this town, and they do a great job with spongy chocolate layers and light cream frosting. They don't do well with spelling, and this customization really takes the cake. 

I spelled my husband's name THREE times, "S as in Sam, T as in Tom". "Juftif" just laughed and credited them for a birthday he would remember, but I can see where this could ruin the birthday party of a child. 


I picked up a variety of pastries since I was already there, and every single one tasted stale, like they'd been sitting out for days. Plural. 


The "Special Bread" is dough with a little sugar. Dense and nondescript, truly nothing special. 


The Matcha Croissant was fine, but the Earl Grey Croissant tasted like a mouthful of scallion. Not only is it unappealing; if you have allergies, it's pretty damn appalling. Be careful what you eat here - cross contamination is a real concern. To their credit, they make a deep-dish Egg Custard Tart, and the filling is delicious. 


The Pineapple Bun is also whatever, 


and there was also a Taro Bread which was not unpleasant. 

I really wanted to give them a better rating - family-owned businesses are near and dear, but I've already encountered too many issues for it to be worth my time. I'll just stick with 85 Degrees for now - at least they have quality control.

No comments:

Post a Comment