Wednesday, March 3, 2021

Ruiji Sichuan Cuisine - Lomita


Finally, a Sichuan restaurant close enough to deliver. 


Ah, my favorite starter, the Spicy Mung Bean Jelly. A bit bland at first but the jelly is cold and refreshing and tastes amazing after a couple nights in the fridge to marinate. 


Dan Dan Noodle according to Sichuan tradition: chewy clear noodles, probably sweet potato and a spicy soup-sauce which is mostly chili oil. Not my favorite tradition but a numbing comfort for some, I’m sure.


Sichuan Duck Glazed with Brown Sugar Sauce is reminiscent of tea-smoked duck with a sweeter spin. The duck is decent quality and tastes fairly fresh. I would get this again. 


Probably my favorite Sichuan dish, Water-Boiled Fish in Hot Chili Oil. Plenty of chili and plenty of fish, but there are plenty of fish in the sea.


They do a fantastic dish job with the Sauteed Pea Sprouts - a perfect texture for a perfect vegetable. They have the ideal balance between leaf and stalk and cook just enough to keep their crunch. 

They won't win any awards, but they are an approximation of good Sichuan food. Everything is correct and the quality is alright. I am in no way disappointed, but I am a bit unimpressed. That said, if I need my Sichuan fix, I could do much worse than mediocre.

No comments:

Post a Comment