Friday, March 26, 2021

Bree’Osh - Santa Barbara

Brioche. What, really, is brioche? I thought I knew but I really had no idea until I tried it here. A textbook will tell you it’s French bread with a lot of egg and butter, but there is no way that gives you any idea what you’re getting. 



So THIS is Brioche. A loaf that weighs like a boulder, slices like butter, weighs in your mouth like a dream. Make it a sinful sandwich or slather a slice with Brie and jam. Have it as you want, eat it as you will. There’s nothing you can do to this loaf that won’t leave you wanting more. 


And wow, what a sandwich you can make. An Eggs & Salmon Brioche has plushy scrambled eggs and smoked salmon that slides like velvet. 


Or keep it simple with the Eggs & Cheese Brioche - I love that even better. Same scrambled eggs with a goops of gruyere are a most delectable glue, connecting the eggs to a soft, sweet, fluffy bun.


Grab a Sourdough Baguette if they have one but don’t bother to get a bag. One bite and you’ll never put it back. They make it with spelt flour and probably the best starter I’ve ever seen.


And never skip either type of Cinnamon Roll. Dazzling delicacies that couldn’t be more different. One is moist and layered,


The other is airy and comparatively crisp.

That’s all I could justifiably try in a single trip, but I’m not above swinging back to Santa Barbara just for more of this because every mile would be worth my while.

I would always roll my eyes when someone says you can “taste the love” in the cooking, but here at Bree’Osh it’s true. The name alone makes you smile, and the breads will warm your heart. 

No comments:

Post a Comment