Monday, April 29, 2013

St. Thomas So Far – St. Thomas, USVI


Two weeks in paradise and the only culinary comments I have on St. Thomas are about a hospital, a couple of food stands, and a carnival. And no wonder. On an island with no ethnic foods/local dishes to speak of, where everything is shipped and nothing is grown, we’ve been subsisting on ramen to avoid the extra cost. On the rare occasions that we do eat out, we find that the better foods are borrowed, mostly from the other islands.



I don’t mean to be a Jamaican jerk about it, but paradise is supposed to look AND taste good, and I’ve had one too many grilled cheeses and fries from beach shacks and one too many orders of wings from touristy dives at happy hour. They definitely don’t taste bad, but it’s only a matter of time before I start demanding that we start ducking into sketchy side-of-the-road shacks where the menu is in pencil and the sanitation grade is nonexistent. So hopefully you’ll suffer through a few of my duller reviews to date and bear with me as we both wait for things to get better.

No comments:

Post a Comment