Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Mike’s Diner – Boston



In light of my impending move, I’ve been feeling rather guilty about under-appreciating the better parts of Boston. I feel especially guilty about forgetting to praise the under-appreciated cheap eats such as those of Mike’s Diner. In the foodie’s paradise of South End, good food abounds, but be prepared to pay for the myriad menus that extend beyond the basics. But sometimes we just want to go back to basics, and thanks to this adorable little diner next to Toro, you can always get the basics for a handful of singles and maybe the occasional five.

Mike’s is as much a standard diner as a diner can be. Small and simple with barely enough tables and a counter for the drink-coffee-and-read-paper regulars, Mike’s maintains a minimalist modesty with a side of warmth. The dining area buzzes, and the kitchen hums with the hustle and bustle of scrambled eggs, sizzling bacon, and flying pancakes.


There’s not much more I can say about Mike’s other than that the food is pretty good. Huge portions like this slab of French Toast will never leave you wanting, and the eggs of any style will never disappoint. The Pancakes come in fluffy stacks of four, and it’s $3.50 for a Fried Egg Sandwich if you’re really just that broke.

Mike’s Diner is a simple diner at best and satisfying at worst. The food is good and not very memorable, but that’s expected from a diner. Besides, I have a soft spot for Mike’s. This diner has seen me stressed, listened to me vent, and fed my soul when nothing else would do. Mike’s fed me along the hard road to doctor-hood, and when I do get my doctor hood at graduation and prepare to go, I can only hope to graduate to a diner as good as Mike’s.

No comments:

Post a Comment