Friday, April 12, 2013

King Crab – Ushuaia, Argentina


From the way they talk about it in Ushuaia, you’d think the mighty centolla was a culinary deity, and not just a king. And why not? Who could say no to a leg of succulent crab? The answer to that rhetorical question is a traveler on a budget. For everything there is a price, and centolla is a reasonable splurge. I did splurge, but I could only afford to splurge once.


I’m already reluctant to try seafood in a tourist town, and if my Centolla Casserole from Chikos was any indication, I highly doubt that I missed out. For starters, I didn’t even get my food for a good half-hour. When I finally “told” a server (and by told, I mean a long barrage of arm-waving and pantomiming), a casserole arrived. The thing is, I ordered a stir-fry, But I wasn’t about to risk starving to death while pantomiming the replacement, and plus the casserole was on every other table so I assumed it was good. It was not good. It turned out to be a veritable pot de crème (and not the good kind) and neither looked nor tasted like the occasional chunks of crab leg floating in it. Sorry Ushuaia, but this is one king I will NOT be bowing to.

No comments:

Post a Comment