Tuesday, April 23, 2013

El Pelon Taqueria - Boston



Dear El Pelon,

It’s finally hit me that I’ll be leaving Boston in just one short month, and LA isn’t close. I’m excited about a fresh start, but I’m sad about the things I’ll be leaving behind. I think one of my biggest regrets will be you. I noticed you for your food first because let’s face it, your food is just plain awesome.

I’ve tasted at least 60% of your menu, and I swear it never gets old. I could eat anything over and over and never get bored. Remember that girl who always stands at the register and takes forever to decide? Yes, I am THAT girl. Sorry, people behind me…

The first thing I ever tried was your Torta with carnitas. The carnitas will cater to any carnivore, the onions keep it crisp, and spicy mayo and guacamole make the world a tastier place.



The tortas are tempting, but I’m one for variety so your Tacos have become my go-to. The Pescado Tacos are full of fresh squares of cornmeal-encrusted cod, the carnitas are as juicy as can be, and the carne asada tastes marinated and freshly charred over flying flames. Topped with limed onions, lightened by pickled cabbage, and salsa, there is no bad time to indulge in one of these. The tortillas are perfect, and the cool cukes make you think for just a fleeting moment that hot sauce isn’t scorching your tongue…and your mouth…and your fingers...and the table. My biggest issue with the tacos is that the carnitas are so juicy that the juice pools at the bottom and soaks the tacos so they split down the middle faster than you can pick them up. Then again, there’s nothing more boring than a neat taco.


The Burritos are solid, but all those rice and beans can get pretty dry so I end up adding a lot of hot sauce…and eating more to stave off the burn…then adding more hot sauce…El Pelon, you’re making me fat. And I LOVE it.

I thought the burritos were filling, but they’re nothing compared to the Quesadillas. You stuff that tortilla for a middle so thick I can barely fit my mouth around it. Despite being a little hard to eat, these are pretty perfect on those days when I feel like a bottomless pit.

I don’t know what you put in your hot sauce, but I’m addicted to the burn. No meal is complete without it, and I add it to everything. And this is coming from a girl who despises large amounts of sauce.

El Pelon, I noticed you for the food first, but then I started to notice more. I’ve come to respect and admire you over the years because of who you are and what you mean to the city of Boston. Your food captures this city’s youthful spirit, a city teeming with colleges in double digits, three major med schools, and countless other institutions of higher learning. Students live simple lives, limited by our debt, and I can’t think of any affordable food that captures our sweet simplicity so well.

Boston is a young city, and you are a classic that stays forever young. There is nothing more comforting than a hot meal from you the night before an exam, there’s nothing more celebratory than a mouthful of Mexican munchies, and there’s no better end to a long day or night. And on a snowy winter day, nothing warms me from the inside out like your hot sauce.

I noticed your food first, but your character will make me remember you. Literally a phoenix from the ashes, you rose and rebuilt after a leveling fire. You came back stronger than ever, and you came back better than ever if UrbanDaddy and every friend and yelper I’ve ever consulted are to be believed. Not only did you come back strong, you had strength to give. The strength and generosity you showed after this year’s tragic marathon, working tirelessly to provide food, drinks, and resources to anyone in need will never be forgotten, though at these affordable prices, your food is practically a giveaway as it is. I’ve eaten your food countless times, and as far as I’m concerned, so little has never bought me so much.

When times are tough, I will remember your strength. When I am selfish, I will remember your generosity. And when I am hungry, I will remember your carnitas. Thank you, El Pelon. You remind me all that there is still good in this world.

XOXO,
Foodie Houser, MD

No comments:

Post a Comment