Sunday, April 3, 2011

Say Bonjour to Bistro Petit Robert - Boston

Today's entry was written by my body only using this innovative technology from google. You should try it too...just beware of the awkward staring/silences it creates in public places... That being said, I strongly advise against certain words and phrases, for example, Asian...sinful...MEAT...
                                            

I've eaten at 2 of the 3 locations of this romantic, definitely-not-casual-not-quite-upscale French bistro. Not sure which one I liked better, so make that your excuse to try both. 

2 Places, 2 Decorators: South End has a full front window, which lets in a little more light. Kenmore is garden level, and while I love candlelit dinners, they become a little overrated when you need to squint to read the menu, which, btw, is really hard for me considering I'm already Asian... 

2 Places, 2 graceful, authentic Staffs: The servers speak French. Good French. They say "bonsoir" when you arrive, and the host speaks English with a French accent, which significantly increases any man's jumpability (i.e. appeal).

2 places, 1 great Menu: The bread is fabulously French and the closest I’ve had to French baguette since…well…France. The crust crunches when it gives under your fingers, and the soft, chewy center makes you tug a little when you break it. Don't bother with the butter. The bread is already sinfully perfect - no need to commit an atherosclerotic sin too. 

HUGE portions! I know size isn't everything, but listen up guys, this is how you save money on a date! My advice: get individual appetizers and split an entree. Use the money you saved to get extra wine. You will thank me in the morning. Your date may not.

Appetizer: trio of homemade pates at both places. Split that because you won't want your entree otherwise. Don't eat the chicken liver pate or try to get it substituted. It's too salty and tastes almost fishy and trust me, your curiosity isn't worth 2 bites. 
Entrees: Rack of lamb: The sauce went well with the lamb but was a bit salty and I would have liked a little less of it on the ratatouille. We split the dish but each half was easily a whole meal! The menu is extensive with a wide variety of ingredients. 
Venison: Good, but I'd rather have the duck.
Duck Confit: Yummm...not as flavor-soaked as France, but I'll have it. More than once.
The menu offers everything from coq-au-vin to skirt steak to duck confit, an impressive range for a small bistro.

2 Places, 1 Request: easy on the sauce! Two venison medallions should never require one cup of sauce – there was more sauce than meat on the plate and unless you’re serving me stew on a plate, hold the excess! Rack of lamb, same story - I would like to keep the side of ratatouille, not make it into ratatouille soup. I prefer to taste the meat, not drink the gravy, thanks. To be fair, I’m just not that into heaping amounts of sauce – I’m the girl who uses maybe a tablespoon of ketchup for an entire order of fries. 

2 Places, 1 Conclusion: Go. Eat, drink, be merry. Take the astute banterer to South End and the facially impaired to Kenmore. I went to both places on girl-dates (note: both my dates were beautiful, charming young women), and I assure you, nothing is more romantic than girlfriends you love who love you in return.  

1 comment:

  1. You should eat brunch here, it is really great! You can also come and say hi to me right after because I live right above the resturaunt :)

    ReplyDelete