Thursday, April 21, 2011

MmmMmmm Mela - Boston


Warning: the story you’re about to hear is very sad. If you are Indian and/or a diehard lover of the beautiful dish called vindaloo, brace yourself. Mela is the first place in Boston and Raleigh combined where I ate vindaloo made with perceivable vinegar and it was awesome.

Loved the lamb vinadaloo – the chunks of lamb were abundant and tender though I wish they had soaked up more flavor – however, that’s my main critique at every restaurant so please take that with a grain of coriander. 


When they said the
palak paneer was made with FRESH spinach, they weren’t kidding! Usually when I get a dish with pureed spinach, I usually taste only the spices and the spinach just adds texture. In this dish, I could actually taste that slightly bitter kick of spinach through the creamy sauce.

Love the attention to detail, both the food and all the little things: When we asked for extra plates, the plates they gave us were warm. Not out-of-the-dishwasher-still-damp warm, but clearly incubated to not turn your food into a frigid mess. (HintHint Sibling Rivalry…) The server was polite and knowledgeable about the food and everyone had a quiet polish. The staff was good, but they were so quiet about it I never noticed them working - all I remember is that my dining experience was pleasant, everything ran smoothly, and my water glass was always full – quite a feat since the vindaloo gave me tears of joy/capsacin.

Love this place even though it's a little pricey for my liking, but imo, the quality of the ingredients and the savory, well-balanced cooking is worth paying extra. So if you’re craving Indian food minus the fake, Mela just might be what the doctor prescribed.

No comments:

Post a Comment