Thursday, April 28, 2011

Edible Eataly – NYC


A dangerous place. The shelves of organic produce whisper suggestively, the fresh mozzarella beckons silently, and the scent of fresh prosciutto seduces even the tightest budget.
After extensive deliberation, I deduced the safest approach:

First, eat a light snack before venturing through Eataly. When you’re not starving, like I was, maybe every-freaking-thing you see won’t look so damn irresistible…

Promenade through the automatic sliding doors (because it’s not so far from Chelsea....) and make a beeline for the modern high-top counters near the center of the store. You can sit at a counter quickly or wander between the food stations they encircle. Who doesn’t want to watch fresh mozzarella made before your eyes while you chow down on the never-get-old classic prosciutto di parma or the sweeter prosciutto St. Danielle.

So I compromised. Instead of buying one of everything in the entire market, I ordered a combo of both prosciuttos. Didn’t love the accompanying bread – a little too hard and dense for what I prefer, but unquestionably, (and unlimited!) fresh whole grain goodness all the same. My only regret is my gastric spatial limitations. I was dying to try some mozzarella and maybe a few bites of one of the enticing veggie sandwiches, but my arteries were already saturated by the generous portion of prosciutto…and it would have been awkward to ask other strangers for a taste of their food…don’t think I didn’t consider it…(Eataly, if you’re reading this, please make a sample platter of everything!)

After you eat, conclude your day-brightening visit by navigating through the market slowly. Slowly enough to drink in the sight of each brightly-colored aisle but quickly enough to resist the temptation to buy one of everything. And try not to come back too often because the rent you pay for the gorgeous 2-bedroom that you share with 6 people doesn’t have much room for Eataly.

No comments:

Post a Comment